Level 3: Serious incident[edit source | edit]
- Impact on people and environment
- Exposure in excess of ten times the statutory annual limit for workers.
- Non-lethal deterministic health effect (e.g., burns) from radiation.
- Impact on radiological barriers and control
- Exposure rates of more than 1 Sv/h in an operating area.
- Severe contamination in an area not expected by design, with a low probability of significant public exposure.
- Impact on defence-in-depth
- Near accident at a nuclear power plant with no safety provisions remaining.
- Lost or stolen highly radioactive sealed source.
- Misdelivered highly radioactive sealed source without adequate procedures in place to handle it.
- THORP plant Sellafield (United Kingdom) – 2005.
- Paks Nuclear Power Plant (Hungary), 2003; fuel rod damage in cleaning tank.
- Vandellos Nuclear Power Plant (Spain), 1989; fire destroyed many control systems; the reactor was shut down.
- San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (United States), 2011; Ammonia leak. No evacuation called for.
Given TEPCO's History of Non-Disclosure, it is always hard to discern fact from innuendo.
- The tanks are a stop gap, emergency storage of highly radioactive substance solution.
- They were made quickly (probably inexpensively)
- They were mass produced using exactly the same methods and materials.
- If one tank leaks, due to structural integrity? Then the same latent issue remains with the rest of the tanks.
- The tanks were made from substances (rubber, metal cladding), that perform poorly with salted (sea), water and are stressed and wear due to the salinity.
- There is no alternate place to store such highly toxic waste. (albeit it it is not waste in the true sense), moreover leakage from a destroyed nuclear plant x 4.
There are miles and miles of 'gaffer taped' hosing that pumps this waste to and from whichever place TEPCO deems it necessary to be, with little human intervention due to the highly radioactive environment.
As can be seen in the above diagram, if the tanks leak, it will be into the low lying water table which promotes the following issues.
- Ground water is the water used in the Biological food processes, including plants, animals and humans.
- Ground water seeps into the sea (regardless of retaining walls) and affects the oceans, ocean life, and life globally.
- Water, in its natural process evaporates into clouds, rain furthering its reach globally.
In all, if the tanks leak, every effort to store what should be contained, is gone. Regardless of what is still being released, this adds X fold to the emergency.
Indeed, a never before seen, Global man made catastrophe that our generation were sadly here to witness.